Sunday 18 June 2017

the consummate retail politician


Comrades,

Have you ever got a pad of 25 monogrammed shopping lists from your local MP?
I have.
Last week, the great Linda Burney, MHR for Barton sent me one.
Pearler of an idea.
Obviously, she found she still had a fair bit of the very generous "postal allowance" granted to members of Federal Parliament left over before the end of the financial year
So to her credit, she put it to good use providing something that's actually useful for the electorate, instead of the usual EOFY letter from the local member saying "Look at me! Look at me! Fark, I'm good! Just ask me!"
Instead, every time you go to the shops, there's her face and phone number on the list, just to remind you who's running the show in these parts.
And with complete assurance too, knowing that at the last Federal election, she won an already pretty heavily Pinko electorate in a land-slide, single-handedly turning Barton into one of the safest Labor seats in the country.
Go, you good thing; never mind that Linda is also the first Aboriginal woman to have ever been elected to the lower house - she is also the consumate retail politician.
During the campaign I would often see her standing outside my local railway station handing out how-to-vote cards and engaging in deep conversation with any punter who may have wanted to accost her.
She can talk the leg off a table; that's the truth.
Also appearing in my letter box was a Linda Burney monogrammed fridge magnet with a 2018 calendar on it, so the voters are able to look way forward to the future with certainty.
Every time they open their fridge door, there she is.
Who needs 'social media'?
Ahhh, the Miracle of Democracy...

No comments: